If you are a graduate or professional student in the Law School, the School of Medicine, or the School of Dental Medicine, you must apply for financial aid directly with your school. Please contact your school directly concerning financial aid programs and procedures.

Financial aid available to graduate students varies widely among graduate and professional schools and programs. Please contact your school directly for more information about assistance that may be available to graduate students in your school or department.

If you are a graduate and professional school student (excluding Medical School, Dental School or Law School) and want to apply for a Direct Unsubsidized Loan or Direct Graduate PLUS Loan, you will need to complete the following steps to be considered for and receive loan assistance:

  1. Complete a Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA). Prospective graduate students are encouraged to complete this application by April 1.
  2. Complete a Master Promissory Note (MPN) and Entrance Counseling to participate in the Direct Loan Program. Complete the MPN and Entrance Counseling at studentloans.gov.
  3. Complete any loan applications for Direct Grad PLUS or other private education loans needed to cover any cost of attendance. Students are encouraged to complete these applications early to ensure appropriate processing time prior payment due dates. Graduate students wishing to borrow a Direct Grad PLUS loan in addition to the Direct Unsubsidized Loan will need to complete both the Direct PLUS Loan Request form and a PLUS Master Promissory Note at studentloans.gov.