Pittsburgh is an extraordinary American city in so many respects. The striking geography of bridges and rivers. The rich tapestry of 89 distinctive neighborhoods—including Pitt’s own, Oakland—that give Pittsburgh its genuineness and warmth.
The nationally recognized cultural and art scene. And the pride that comes with cheering for three major league sports teams: the Penguins, Pirates, and Steelers.
Pittsburgh is also home to eight Fortune 500 companies including U.S. Steel, PNC Bank and Mylan Pharmaceuticals; research centers and offices from powerhouses such as Google, Apple, Disney and Microsoft; and a variety of strong small businesses and non-profits.
Combine this wealth of opportunity with an affordable cost of living and it is no surprise that Forbes Magazine ranked Pittsburgh one of the most livable cities in the Continental United States! As a matter of fact, Pittsburgh frequents the top of many lists, here are just a few:
- The Travel Channel ranked Pittsburgh one of the best All-American vacation spots.
- Esquire Magazine said Pittsburgh is a must-visit city, calling it “a hipper, organic, authentic version if the cool downtown area near you with the bricks, only they have more bars, better food and a brilliant arts scene.”
- Pittsburgh has one of America’s Most Stunning Views according to USA Today. (And some of our visit programs offer the opportunity to see this view first-hand!)
- Simple Dollar and Forbes Magazine list Pittsburgh among the top 20 most affordable U.S. cities.
- Pittsburgh is the 5th best city for an active lifestyle according to WalletHub.
- The Atlantic ranks Pittsburgh among the top 10 places to pursue the American dream.
Beyond our address, Pittsburgh is who we are
We’re proud to be a longstanding and essential civic partner in this city, with strong connections that extend to every sector of metropolitan life. Thanks to these relationships, the University of Pittsburgh students have amazing opportunities for learning, working, service, citizenship, and adventure—all well within your reach.
Explore the city as a VIP (Very Important Panther)
As a Pitt student, you get special privileges and access to everything the city offers.
- Your Panther Card gives you free transportation on Port Authority buses and the “T” train, as well as discounts at local merchants. Oakland is a huge transportation hub for the region, so heading out to the movies or navigating urban hikes is easy.
- PITT ARTS is your source for free and discounted tickets to the city’s ever-expanding arts scene. You can enjoy Pittsburgh’s opera house, ballet company, symphony orchestra, and theatres big and small for much less when you’re a Pitt student.