Pittsburgh is an extraordinary American city in so many respects. The striking geography of bridges and rivers. The nationally recognized cultural scene. The pride that comes with cheering for three major league sports teams: the Penguins, Pirates, and Steelers. And the rich tapestry of 89 distinctive neighborhoods—including Pitt’s own, Oakland—that give Pittsburgh its genuineness and warmth.
Pittsburgh is also home to Fortune 500 companies like U.S. Steel, PNC Bank, and Dick’s Sporting Goods; research centers and offices from powerhouses such as Google, Apple, Disney, and Uber; and innovative small businesses and non-profits.
Combine this wealth of opportunity with an affordable cost of living and it is no surprise that Pittsburgh is ranked one of the most livable cities in the U.S. As a matter of fact, Pittsburgh frequents the top of many lists, here are just a few:
- The Global Livability Index 2018 ranked Pittsburgh the #2 most livable city in America.
- Pittsburgh is ranked one of the top 40 places to live in the U.S. by Livability.com.
- WalletHub ranks Pittsburgh one of the best cities in the country for an active lifestyle.
- Pittsburgh is one of the top five cities for foodies according to Smart Asset. National Geographic Traveler encourages people to visit Pittsburgh for the culinary scene.
- Air Transport World Magazine named Pittsburgh International Airport the Airport of the Year.
- Harper’s Bazaar ranked Pittsburgh one of the best places to travel in 2017.
- WalletHub ranked Pittsburgh the 11th best city in the country for recreation.
Beyond our address, Pittsburgh is who we are
We’re proud to be a longstanding and essential civic partner in this city, with strong connections that extend to every sector of metropolitan life. Thanks to these relationships, you will have amazing opportunities for learning, working, service, citizenship, and adventure—all well within your reach.
Explore the city as a VIP (Very Important Panther)
As a Pitt student, you get special privileges and access to everything the city offers.
Your Panther Card gives you access to free public transportation and discounts at local merchants. Oakland is a huge transportation hub for the region, so heading out to the movies or navigating your way to urban hikes is easy.
PITT ARTS is your source for free and discounted tickets to the city’s ever-expanding arts scene. You can enjoy Pittsburgh’s opera house, ballet company, symphony orchestra, and theatres big and small for much less when you’re a Pitt student.