School of Medicine Guaranteed Admissions Program (GAP)
- To be considered for the School of Medicine’s Guaranteed Admissions Program (GAP), you can choose “Pre-Medicine” as your Intended Field of Study in the Dietrich School of Arts and Sciences, “Bioengineering” as your Intended Field of Study in the Swanson School of Engineering, or choose any Dietrich School Intended Field of Study and also select “Medicine” from the Guaranteed Admission Program drop-down box on your freshman application for admission. Your completed application for admission must be received on or before November 15. Applicants to the Regional campuses of the University of Pittsburgh are not eligible for this program.
- To be considered for the medical school guarantee, applicants must meet the initial eligibility requirements of earning the highest grade point average available in their high school in the context of a curriculum showing the greatest academic rigor possible and earning a minimum SAT score of 1490 (combined Critical Reading and Math) or 34 ACT composite. Students should also respond to the Short Answer Questions. Please do not submit any additional documents for consideration such as essays, letters of recommendation, resumes, or research projects. These will not improve your chances for consideration.
- Consideration for the GAP is a multi-step process. After the initial review described above, students selected to continue in the process will be notified by the School of Medicine of their eligibility to apply for the GAP. Those selected will be asked to submit supplemental information in support of their candidacy. The supplemental information will be reviewed by the selection committee. Selected students will be invited for an interview in the School of Medicine in March.
- Please note: If you are selected to continue in the GAP review process, you will be notified within 2-4 weeks after you receive your admission letter. Please do not contact the Office of Admissions and Financial Aid or the School of Medicine regarding the status of your application. Only candidates who are selected to continue in the GAP review process will be notified. Additionally, due to the high number of quality applicants for this program, decisions cannot be appealed.
- The choice of final candidates is contingent upon this interview in combination with other factors. Historically, an average of 8-12 students from the entering undergraduate class are chosen each year for the School of Medicine guarantee.
- Students offered the guarantee must complete an undergraduate degree based on course work done at the Pittsburgh campus of the University of Pittsburgh within four years, complete the prerequisite course work, maintain a cumulative science and quality point average of at least 3.75, and engage in undergraduate research and extracurricular activities that provide greater knowledge of the science and practice of medicine. The MCAT will not be required.
- More information on the Guaranteed Admission Program (GAP) and the School of Medicine.
International students are not eligible for this guarantee.
School of Medicine GAP in Recent Years…
|School Year||Eligible to Apply||Applications||Invited to Interview||Offered Guarantee|
Frequently Asked Questions:
Q: Is the School of Medicine GAP an accelerated program?
A: No, this program is designed for students to spend four years as a Pitt undergraduate and four years in the School of Medicine.
Q: If I am not selected for the School of Medicine GAP, am I still eligible to follow the pre-med curriculum at Pitt?
Q: Is there a separate application for the School of Medicine GAP?
A: No, all students who indicate pre-medicine or bioengineering as their intended major on the freshman application are automatically reviewed for the program.
Q: When are students notified if they are eligible to apply for the School of Medicine GAP?
A: Students eligible to apply for the program are notified by early January.
Q: Are all students invited to interview for the School of Medicine GAP?
A: No, in recent years, approximately 10% of the students who are invited to apply for the program actually interview with the School of Medicine. These interviews take place in March.
Q: When are the students notified if they have been chosen for the School of Medicine GAP?
A: Historically, 8-12 incoming freshman are ultimately chosen for the program. These students are notified of their selection by April 15.
Q: Are current Pitt undergraduates eligible to apply for the School of Medicine GAP?
A: No, only freshman applicants are considered for this program.
Q: How many Pitt undergraduates, with or without the GAP, are admitted to Pitt’s School of Medicine?
A: For the fall of 2016, 5,872 students applied for admission to the University of Pittsburgh School of Medicine and 359 were offered admission. Eleven percent (11%) of the applicants accepted completed their undergraduate work at the University of Pittsburgh. In the same year, the first year class consisted of 148 students. Twenty percent (20%) of the first year class completed their undergraduate work at the University of Pittsburgh.
Q: Are international students and/or new transfer students eligible for the School of Medicine GAP?
A: No, the School of Medicine GAP is available to domestic freshman applicants only.