Communication Science and Disorders (Speech-Language Pathology (SLP) and Audiology) Freshman Guarantee—School of Health and Rehabilitation Sciences
The Speech Language Pathology and Audiology graduate programs at the University of Pittsburgh are ranked #7 according to U.S. News & World Report. Students have the opportunity for clinical education at a wide variety of adult and pediatric medical centers and schools in the Pittsburgh area. All graduates qualify for certification and licensure. The University of Pittsburgh offers an undergraduate degree in Communication Science which is the appropriate major to prepare for graduate studies in either Speech Language Pathology, Audiology or Speech, Language or Hearing Science. To be eligible for the Freshman Guarantee into our clinical master’s in SLP or our Clinical Doctorate in Audiology, a student must meet all of the criteria listed below.
- A separate application is not necessary for consideration. When you submit your application for admission, you can either select “Pre-Communication Science” as your Intended Field of Study in the Dietrich School of Arts and Sciences, or select “Communication Science” in the Guaranteed Admission Program dropdown box on the Application for Undergraduate Admission. Only freshmen can be considered for the guarantee.
- Rank in the top 10 percent of high school graduating class and achieve a 1410 SAT (combined Critical Reading and Math) or 31 ACT Composite score.
- Have an overall grade point average (GPA) of 3.6 or higher when applying to the Communication Science major at the beginning of the spring semester of sophomore year.
- While completing the undergraduate degree in Communication Science at Pitt, students must maintain an overall GPA of 3.6 or higher and have a GPA of 3.75 or higher in the core communication science and disorders (CSD) courses at the time of application.
- Achieve minimum scores at the 50th percentile on the verbal and quantitative sections and a score of 3.5 or better on the analytical writing section of the Graduate Record Examination (GRE).
- Complete the CSD Centralized Application Service (CSDCAS) process as required.
- More information about the CSD graduate program.