First and foremost, we thank you for serving our country and look forward to helping you pursue a degree here at Pitt.
More than 500 veterans currently call themselves Pitt Panthers, and we are happy to assist you throughout the application and financial aid process.
Start by contacting the Office of Veterans Services for more information. The next step is applying. When you complete the application for admission, you will be asked if you are a veteran. When you enter “Yes” a fee waiver will automatically be applied.
- If you have not attended any schools since high school graduation or earning a GED, please apply as a transfer student and leave the “College Information” section of the application blank.
- If you have attended a college, university, or other post-secondary school after graduating from high school or earning a GED, apply as a transfer student and make sure to complete the “College Information” section of the application.
- Your application is considered complete and will be sent to the admissions committee for review when we have received the following: an application for admission, official high school transcript, official transcripts from all colleges/universities attended (if applicable), and official SAT/ACT test results.
- If you have previously taken either the SAT or ACT and you are in your first year of college, please arrange for all your official test results to be forwarded directly to Pitt from the testing agency. Veterans will be exempted from the SAT/ACT requirement by applying for admission to the College of General Studies.
- Veterans, like other applicants, are reviewed on an individual basis in a holistic way. Using the Short Answer Questions to highlight experiences in the military, additional training, leadership opportunities, educational pursuits, and/or advancements/promotions, will help the admissions committee in its holistic review process. Military transcripts may also be provided. While we appreciate others taking the time to write recommendation letters on your behalf, we find letters are beneficial in very limited circumstances (for example: providing context for variance in your overall academic performance). We recommend that you submit responses to the Short Answer Questions and use that space to explain or clarify what most recommenders would cover in a letter.
- You may reach out to the admissions contact for veterans with specific questions:
- Our office administers state and federal student financial aid programs, with the exception of veteran’s educational benefits. These benefits are administered by the Office of Veterans Services. If you need financial assistance you can utilize traditional financial aid along with your veterans’ educational benefits.
- Veterans, like other applicants, can be seen on a walk-in basis by a financial aid counselor and can be helped by any counselor. You can find information on the financial aid application process online.
- You may reach out to the financial aid contact for veterans with specific questions:
Veterans’ Educational Benefits
- The Office of Veterans Services is your resource for connecting with the educational financial benefits administered by the federal government for eligible veterans.
- You may reach out to the Veterans Services contact with specific questions:
All University of Pittsburgh applicants who are applying to the Pittsburgh campus have the option to rank the regional Pitt campuses in order of preference on their application. This helps the Admissions Committee do its best to match you with a Pitt campus. If you do not rank campuses, the Committee will select a Pitt campus that they feel best matches your academic interests.
You may only have one University of Pittsburgh application active at a time across our five campuses. For a prompt review, please apply directly to the Pitt campus that is your first choice. To transfer your application to another campus, please contact the campus that has your current application on file and ask them to cancel it for you. You will then be able to apply to a different campus of your choice.