Freshmen applicants who are interested in deferring University of Pittsburgh admissions may do so for up to one academic year following the term for which admission was offered, provided the enrollment fee has been paid by the May 1 deadline.
Examples of deferrals may include, but are not limited to a religious activity, community service, or world travel. Students may only defer to the same term as their original admission. For example, spring term admission students may only defer to the following spring term.
International freshmen are eligible for deferral but must work with the Office of International Services regarding visas.
Deadline for Deferral
The deadline for deferring admission is two weeks prior to the start of the original term. We are unable to process a deferral request after the start of classes. If the student is registered for classes, it is their responsibility to withdraw from classes before the deferral can be processed.
If Your Deferral Request is Accepted
- Students who choose to defer are permitted to take up to six credits as a non-degree student at another university during the deferral period. Failure to obtain advance approval for course work in excess of six credit hours may nullify deferral status and require re-application as a transfer student.
- Students are required to submit a final high school transcript before the start of the new term.
- If you received a merit scholarship, PittHonors eligibility, or have a graduate school guarantee your award is guaranteed for the new term.
- If you are interested in need-based financial aid, you will need to reapply for financial aid for the new term by completing the FAFSA.
- If you are interested in on-campus housing, you are still guaranteed three years of on-campus housing and you will receive a housing application prior to course registration for the term for which you are starting. Some restrictions apply. This guarantee is for fall entry freshmen.
Please contact Kerri Meeks-Griffin at email@example.com with any questions.
Complete the Deferral Request Form.