Continue or complete your degree. Enter or re-enter the workforce. Change or advance your career. The University of Pittsburgh College of General Studies (CGS) is here to help you meet your personal and professional goals.
Depending on your situation, CGS may be the perfect starting (or re-starting) point for you in your continuing education. CGS offers results-oriented degree programs, flexible scheduling, and individualized student services, and is the region’s choice for busy adults who want to fit a college education into their already full lives.
- If you have not attended any schools since high school graduation or earning a GED, please apply as a transfer student and leave the “College Information” section of the application blank.
- If you have attended a college, university, or other post-secondary school after graduating from high school or earning a GED, apply as a transfer student and make sure to complete the “College Information” section of the application.
- Your application is considered complete and will be sent to the admissions committee for review when we have received the following: an application for admission, $45 application fee, official high school transcript, official transcripts from all colleges/universities attended (if applicable), and official SAT/ACT test results.
- If you have previously taken either the SAT or ACT and you are in your first year of college, please arrange for all your official test results to be forwarded directly to Pitt from the testing agency. Adult students will be exempted from the SAT/ACT requirement by applying for admission to the College of General Studies.
- Adult students are reviewed on an individual basis in a holistic way. Using the Short Answer Questions to highlight experiences in the work force, additional training, leadership opportunities, educational pursuits, and/or advancements/promotions, will help the admissions committee in its holistic review process. We encourage adult students to submit letters of recommendation.